Wednesday, November 19, 2014

CSA Season Challenges

With the first real snow fall (woo hoo.....) on Sunday, we received our last CSA box for the season. I'm really happy we chose to stick with our half share at JenEhr Family Farm this year. It is so fun to see what is coming each week and was great to pick our boxes up on Sunday's this year.

Any CSA box is not without its challenges. We were challenged by the humongous heads of cauliflower we got in box after box. There are only so many cauliflower salads you can make and it wasn't exactly soup weather. That lead us to finally making cauliflower buffalo "wings" which were awesome!

As the season has changed we've recently gotten a lot of root and fall vegetables- potatoes, beets, brussels sprouts, and the dreaded celeriac. I'm just not a huge fan of celeriac:

1. it is ugly
2. it tastes like really really intense celery (I like celery, but its a little much)
3. it is hard to peel

Supposedly it is good for you, but eh. It is white so it can't be that great.

We got a celeriac root in our box 2 weeks ago and I was traveling for work, so Aaron wasn't compelled to cook it up (big surprise). Lucky us it was still sitting in our fridge when we received our box this week which contained ANOTHER celeriac root, of course. I don't travel this week, so I'm determined to take on the challenge of using all of the CSA box up.

I found the best two recipes I could to try to cover the celery taste:

Garden Keeper's Pie with Beets, Lentils, and Creamy Celery Root Mash - mixing the celery root with potatoes so they can pretend to just be mashed potatoes on a pretty veggie pie.

Ginger and Celery Root Soup - a half cup of fresh ginger root is sure to cover up the strong celery taste, right?

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment