Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower and Asparagus Soup


Well, I rarely post recipes anymore because I don't cook while I'm in school. Aaron does most of that (but I make the grocery list!). 

Before we left for Colorado I saw this pretty soup somewhere and decided I needed to make it immediately when we got home. I feel bad because it was one of those recipes that is so simple I copied the directions down and not the link, so I cannot credit where I got it from. We did change it a tiny bit, though. 

This soup is basically just dry roasted asparagus and cauliflower with some seasoning. The ingredients are so simple that when we got home I wondered why I thought it would be good, but went ahead and bought the stuff anyway. It turned out to be one of the better pureed soups we've eaten. Delicious!

When I had it for lunch I decided to add some avocado, since fat helps you absorb nutrients and it is a fat free soup (unless you add oil in the roasting process).

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, chopped into pieces
1 bunch of asparagus, ends snapped off
4 cups veggie broth (we used homemade)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (a little spicy, use less if you don't enjoy spice)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 and prep ingredients.
2. Place asparagus and cauliflower on baking sheets and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes (stir once if going for 20 minutes) until starting to brown.
3. Add broth to a pot. Add seasoning, garlic, and roasted cauliflower and asparagus. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, until softened.
4. Use an immersion blender or (carefully) transfer to a regular blender to puree mixture. Taste for seasoning and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment