Sunday, March 10, 2013

Wild Rice (Roasted Carrot and Wild Rice Salad)

Photo from greensandseeds.com

I've been keeping up with my new grocery item each week resolution pretty regularly, just not documenting it here. Aaron cooks and I eat too fast to take a picture!

A couple days ago I noticed we had some hazelnuts in our freezer, which have definitely been in there for at least a year. I really had no idea what to do with them, but fancy nuts are expensive and I didn't want to leave them in the freezer until we move in August. Then I saw a link to this recipe that features hazelnuts. Perfect timing! Roasted carrot and wild rice salad with hazelnuts and feta.

The wild rice is our new ingredient this week. I have never cooked wild rice, mostly because its so expensive compared to regular rice (and yes I know its not really rice, but a seed). But its so good and apparently has twice as much protein and antioxidants as brown rice. Plus there is that whole arsenic in brown rice thing (limit to 1.5 servings a week).

I guess I could count the feta as a new ingredient too, since we rarely buy cheese, but I don't consider it to be a healthy food.

We really enjoyed this for dinner last night. The flavor combination is different than our typical meals and if you like hazelnuts you should give it a try. If you don't like hazelnuts, I think walnuts would work perfectly.

We have some wild rice left because we always buy too much when we use the bulk bins, so I'll be looking forward to either making this recipe again or just eating the rice on its own.

Get the recipe: Roasted Carrot and Wild Rice Salad from Greens and Seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment