Saturday, June 1, 2013

Diet Variety: Rhubarb

I think this is the longest New Year's resolution I have ever kept. Although I haven't been blogging much about it, I have been adding something new to our grocery list every week.

This week we have rhubarb, which I have never ever bought. I have only seen it in desserts, which I almost never make at home. Plus rhubarb desserts have been ruined for me since childhood, when I accidentally grabbed a piece of what I thought was cherry pie. It turned out to be rhubarb and I have never really wanted to try it again. When I found a recipe for a rhubarb and lentil salad, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out without having to make dessert.

(We also bought some baby turnips, which to our knowledge we had never eaten, and had them raw in a salad. I really liked them and would probably eat them plain like radishes. Hoping we get a bunch when our CSA starts coming.)

I don't know much about rhubarb, but apparently it is high in vitamin C, calcium, and fiber.

Not a pretty photo... I was very hungry.


The salad was surprisingly good, helped out by lots of spices, herbs, and one of my favorites- the black lentil. The rhubarb was nice and tart and totally different than things we normally eat. I'm curious to see what other savory rhubarb recipes are out there. And who knows... maybe I will attempt a rhubarb dessert sometime this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment