Monday, November 14, 2011

Scones.


I am a scone lover, but my standards for scones are set pretty high. First of all, I do not want it to be soft and pillowy at all. If I wanted a muffin or cake, I would eat a muffin or cake! The most disappointing thing to me is biting into a scone and realizing its just a blob shaped muffin.

I want a scone that has a thick, crunchy outside and the correct crumb to buttery ratio on the inside. I also don't want it to be super sweet. The icing on the top can be sweet-ish, but the actual scone should not be noticeably sweet at all.

As you can see, my feelings on scones are strong and I am often disappointed. Luckily, we seem to have hit the apartment jackpot, since we live less than a block away from some of the best scones I've ever had. Lazy Jane's Cafe and Bakery is a popular breakfast spot where people are always waiting outside for weekend brunch. Their breakfast is pretty good and cheap, and since we live so close we can usually get there before the rush, but we know the real treasure is the scones.

They probably know that too because they opened a little storefront bakery two houses down from the Cafe so you can buy baked goods without waiting in line. We stopped in on a recent Saturday morning and there were no scones left! Luckily a batch was coming out in ten minutes, so we waited, sampled some drinks, and then were rewarded with fresh from the oven raspberry scones. Worth the wait (and I also caught a glimpse of the large bowl full of butter chilling in the fridge... its what makes them delicious... its also why I don't make them at home).

No comments:

Post a Comment