Thursday, February 9, 2012

Raw Kale (or any greens) Salad


There are many ways to eat kale, but this happens to be my favorite. Yes, I like this more than kale chips! Its simple (5 ingredients) and its raw, but it doesn't taste raw. This is also a great change up for typical salads and its perfect for winter. You do have to get your hands a little dirty though!

The key to getting tender kale for salads is to massage it with lemon juice, salt, and olive oil. You can see the kale starting to break down and wilt a little bit. Letting it sit for a while works the magic.

When I first made this salad I followed the recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen to a T, and it turned out perfectly (here is the recipe).

Now I just whisk some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and garlic (sometimes) in a bowl, then pour whatever amount looks right over my greens. After massaging the dressing into the greens, every piece gets perfectly coated with dressing. After a day in the fridge the kale even absorbs all of the dressing at the bottom of the bowl. Kale is good on its own, but the combo of kale and collard greens is one of my favorites. Dinosaur kale also works really well and is less chewy then curly kale.

One you have your greens massaged :) you can top them with whatever you want. I've been eating this for lunch for the past few weeks. As you can see one day I did half an avocado, sunflower seeds, and grapes, but you can put whatever you want on this and I'm pretty sure it will still taste good.

Plus, everyone should probably be eating more kale. If you are trying to eat more green things, this salad is a great way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment