Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Raw Breakfast Pudding


Well, its still early in the morning here and its time to start studying for my "Advanced Statistical Methods" mid-term exam that takes place later today. But then I looked at our syllabus and noticed the exam is only worth 15% of our grade, less than some participation points in most classes and barely enough to make a difference unless I fail (which I won't, because this is heavy on review from last semester). So all in all I have time to share my delicious breakfast with you.

I know I have mentioned that I am redoing the elimination diet, but I didn't mention that I also have been eating a high raw food diet during the week. I started it as a little experiment in January and found it really easy to stick too. However, my raw breakfast options have so far just been green smoothies. While they are delicious, I miss using a spoon sometimes, so chia pudding comes to the rescue.

Chia seeds are little and black seeds that are high in fiber and can be used as a thickener or to make pudding. They also contain protein and healthy fats, so a good way to start your day. They're great for you and not that expensive, so if you can find a bag, try this recipe. You can also add them to smoothies, cereal, etc.

I can't remember where I found the idea for this recipe. Chia puddings are all over the place and I didn't save the link for the inspiration for this one.

I made a triple recipe so I could have it for three days, but I have to say after sitting in the fridge the avocado flavor is a little stronger. I still like it but you might be better off sticking to a one day serving, so I cut the recipe down to serve two people for breakfast (or dessert or a snack).

Place the following in a food processor and blend:

  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 avocado
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • a handful of spinach
  • drizzle of maple syrup or honey, to taste

When its all mixed together and smooth, scoop out into two bowls and top with whatever you want (oats, nuts, fresh fruit, et).

Yesterday I had the blueberries and almonds picture above. Today I topped my serving with walnuts and dipped cucumber slices in the pudding. I find this breakfast to be extremely filling and it keeps me full for a while! Try it!

Now time to study for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment