Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Simple Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw


More coleslaw... ever notice how a recipe says one head of cabbage, but when you start chopping it up you realize the amount you need will only be a quarter or half of your super large cabbage? I can only remember one or two times I saw a small, possibly baby head sized cabbage at the grocery store/farmer's market. Normally they are huge, which I don't mind, but after using my cabbage for the Thai coleslaw, a frittata, and some chopped up on salads, I still had a ton left.

Time for more coleslaw! Luckily I love coleslaw, but only the kind without mayonnaise. I will only eat mayonnaise if it is undetectable.

Making coleslaw like this always reminds me of my Grandma, who served it as the salad at probably every dinner we had at her house. I think she eats lettuce now, which is shocking. It was probably something to do with being born right when the Great Depression hit. Like I said in my previous coleslaw post, cabbage is cheap. I doubt my Grandma used white balsamic vinegar, but we have a large bottle begging to be used more often.

It seems like Grandma's have an innate ability to chop cabbage really thinly for coleslaw. Must have been all of those years before food processors. I have trouble figuring out how to slice it and what to do with the chunky middle part. I usually get down to that part and chop it into oblivion.

Anyway, cabbage is really good for you, so make this!

Vinegar and Oil Coleslaw

Half a large head of cabbage, shredded/sliced/diced
3 tablespoons of white balsamic vinegar (or white, red wine, rice vinegar, whatever you have)
1.5 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper

Toss together in a large bowl, chill and enjoy!

I know another reason my Grandma probably liked coleslaw... its an excuse to put salt on your salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment