Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Apple Crumb Pie


The first semester of graduate school is in full swing. After two weeks, we are all starting to get an idea of what is in store: lots of hours trying to understand statistics and economics, with a large dose of reading about public policy. Since the only re-assurance second year students can offer is "it's just going to get harder," its time to accept that I can't continue doing everything I did before.

Fitting in work that pays money is hard enough, so things like looking at every picture onFoodGawker and cooking elaborate meals on week nights (or any night...) just aren't going to happen for the next two years. Luckily, I have Aaron around to ensure I'm eating more than canned soup and that dirty dishes don't consume the kitchen. He also is really handy with an apple peeler, which is how we cranked out two apple pies in under an hour.

The McIntosh apples from our trip to Epplegarden were perfect for pie.


I was pretty happy with my pie crust, since its the first time I've made it without help from another family member. The crumb topping is there because we made one of the pies for Aaron's co-worker's birthday, and he prefers crumb toppings. It turned out really well, but it is definitely too rich/sweet for my tastes. Maybe on a cherry pie?

I used this recipe for the crumb topping. If you take a look at it you'll notice a stick of butter went on top of each pie, which explains why everyone else loves it and I don't.

I need more fruit with my pie! I'm already planning to make another one with the correct crust one top.

No comments:

Post a Comment