Sunday, January 15, 2012

Make your own Nori Rolls


Aaron and I have been looking for a good sushi place in Madison since we moved here last year. We had tried four or so different restaurants and were disappointed every time. There was the night we waited over 45 minutes for 2 rolls, the time we spent $16 on a special roll that was smaller than a normal spicy tuna roll, etc. Plus I actually like to taste the fish in my rolls. I don't go out to restaurants to eat cream cheese.

Friday night we finally ate at an acceptable sushi bar. Its tiny and the only reason we hadn't tried it yet was the long wait. It was some of the best sushi we've ever had and still reasonably priced. I just wish they took reservations for parties of 2 and they would save some super white tuna for me.

Anyway, on Saturday we decided to try making our own vegetarian nori rolls. We don't have a bamboo rolling mat, but I was inspired by this post from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen.


After searching around Whole Foods for a while, we found everything we needed including the "sweet brown rice." I didn't know this was a real thing and neither did the Whole Foods staff who told me they didn't have it and sent me to the bulk section to get white sushi rice. Lo and behold there was a bin of sweet brown rice. We also got wasabi and coconut aminos, which is a low sodium substitute for soy sauce or tamari (I'm doing the elimination diet again and haven't added soy).


The rice was very sticky! This ended up being too much rice, next time I'll try to make a thinner layer.


Cabbage, carrot, green onion and avocado for filling.


This recipe made 8 fat rolls and it was ridiculously easy. Now we have snacks for the week. Also if you have a hangover the plain avocado roll is particularly satisfying. Next time I'll try adding some cooked or raw fish.

I highly recommend you try this if you enjoy nori rolls. It is much cheaper than store or restaurant bought (10 nori sheets cost about $5 here... one roll in the prepared foods section is $5-$9). The brown rice is much better for you than white and you can make these as simple or as elaborate as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment