Monday, January 30, 2012

Maple Roasted Walnuts


Here is an addicting snack that hits all of my cravings: sweet, salt, fat, cumin. Yes we go through an obscene amount of cumin... and cinnamon for that matter. I love these walnuts and studies show people who eat nuts are actually skinnier, despite the high calories. Probably because they are crunchy, satisfying and keep you full for a while meaning you eat less of other stuff. I gave these to our parents as part of their Christmas gifts and I've found they are well received by everyone I've shared them with.

These walnuts taste fancy and smell like the expensive sugar coated almonds we used to get at the mall, but they are soo easy to make! This recipe is similar to the cashews I made last spring, but walnuts are cheaper and better for you, so I prefer this version. This recipe is also less sticky, meaning they cool/dry faster and can be in your mouth in half the time. I think they would be really great with a dash of cayenne pepper for people who can tolerate spicy foods.


1 cup walnuts*
1 tsp olive oil
4 tsp maple syrup*
1 heaping tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

*I usually end up using a cup and a half depending on how wet they are after adding the liquid.
*I have only used real maple syrup, but I think this would still taste good with one of those maple flavored syrups... I'm pretty sure one of my friends tried it.

How to do it:
Preheat oven to 350.

Mix walnuts with olive oil and maple syrup (do the olive oil first, it makes the maple syrup pour from the tsp easier).

In a small bowl mix salt, cumin, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Pour spice mixture over the walnuts and stir well until everything is coated.

Transfer walnuts to a baking sheet or 9x13 cake pan lined with parchment paper. Non-stick would work fine too, but I prefer no clean up! Bake for 10 or 11 minutes and allow to cool before removing them from the parchment.

Try not to eat all of them yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment