Thursday, May 31, 2012

Long Distance


As my bags and piles of clothes and supplies begin to take over our apartment, it has finally settled in for Aaron and I that we really won't be spending the next ten weeks together. We started out as a long distance relationship, but we never went more than two weeks without seeing each other. I wish Aaron could come with me and we could explore together, but unfortunately one of us has to get paid.

Spending the summer in Mexico without Aaron will be challenging, but we have some advantages on our side. First of all, Mexico City and Wisconsin are in the same time zone, which will make it easier to Skype with each other at convenient hours.

Secondly, flights to Mexico are cheaper than flights to places like Europe or Africa, so Aaron will be able to come visit me. The advantageous exchange rate also means I'll save money on living expenses over the summer, so more money can be set aside for Aaron to visit.

We are lucky to live in the era of the internet and video chatting. We can email, send photos, and call each others cell phones. We can even send text messages through Skype to keep each other up to date when a call isn't practical.

Aaron will be working a lot of overtime and I'll be focusing on learning as much Spanish as possible. We will both miss each other a ton, but we agree that its important for us to become the best people we can be and an opportunity to work abroad is part of that for me. Plus, just think how happy we'll be in August when I'm back.

Always look on the bright side of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment