Saturday, April 23, 2011

Maple-Cumin Roasted Cashews

This week on the elimination diet was a success. Adding beans and nuts went over well and I'm happy I can keep eating them now!

I was pretty hungry this week, so it was hard to ignore the almonds, walnuts and cashews sitting in our cupboard, which weren't allowed until Thursday. I love having some nuts to go with a piece of fruit for a morning or afternoon snack (I eat 5-6 times a day).

I was also really excited to try almond butter for the first time. It is delicious and is 100% better than the sunflower seed butter we have been eating. Almond butter is a little rich and pricey though, so until we have a food processor and can make it ourselves, we will probably stick to peanut butter.

One of the best things that came out of this week was maple roasted cashews. Yum.

Cooling off after being separated.

I bought raw cashews from Whole Foods, knowing I wanted to roast them myself, but I had no idea what I was going to do with them. You would think raw nuts would be cheaper than already roasted ones, but the raw cashews were significantly more expensive with a price tag of $15.99 per pound. For some reason I went for them (I guess believing I would only get a "small" amount and it would be "cheap enough). Ten dollars later..... and we have a really expensive snack.

Luckily, I bought exactly the right amount (2 cups) for this recipe and we had exactly 1/4 cup of maple syrup left. The ancho chili powder was not included in our cashews because of my nightshade veggie allergy. Sad, but I'm sure it would be delicious with that added too!


I highly recommend these, especially if you like cumin. They were relatively easy and amazingly delicious. I plan to try the topping with other (cheaper) nuts soon.

1 comment:

  1. these look delicious! could you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete