Monday, June 27, 2011

Creating Pizza without Tomato Sauce



One of my favorite foods has always been pizza. Pretty much from any place with as many toppings as possible. It was quite a trial to go without it for so long and then facing the realization that not being able to eat tomatoes means no traditional style pizza.

You can easily order pizza without the sauce at any restaurant or chain, but most topping are off limits too (bell peppers, banana peppers?) so its easier to make at home.

All of the dough ingredients making a mess.

Making your own pizza also makes it infinitely healthier. We still put cheese on, but probably 1/3 or less of what is used at chain pizza places. I used whole wheat flour in the crust. This pizza even has a surprise "sauce": mashed white beans, which are surprisingly delicious!

To make my dough, I broke out my bridal shower gift from Ruth:

It kept my black tank top and shorts flour free. Aaron insisted on the pictures which you may be able to tell from the look on my face.

The inspiration for this pizza came from: Local Kitchen Blog. The pizza turned out very filling and tasted great. You can just buy frozen pizza dough or the dough from Trader Joe's if you don't want to make your own (but it only takes about an hour!). I definitely recommend trying the white bean spread as a little something different for your pizza.

We don't use any fancy things to make our pizza and we cook it on a regular baking sheet. The crust still gets crunchy!

Here is Aaron's pizza... he gets the tomato on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment