Monday, August 8, 2011

Brownies with zucchini


I saw this recipe at Baltic Maid and I knew I had to try it once I had a grater and a brownie pan. I don't normally make sweet things because there is a lot to eat between two people and dessert isn't really big on my priority list. However, I've always loved warm brownies with ice-cream on top, I just don't love the way my stomach feels after eating them.

This recipe makes brownies that I don't feel too bad about eating and that do not upset my stomach with an overload of refined flour and fat. I would even venture to say you can eat them for breakfast... I haven't yet, but it is tempting!

The only thing that's questionable here is the full cup of sugar. I didn't use all of it because we were running low, so I probably added 2/3 of a cup. I haven't tried stevia yet, but it might be a good replacement, or possibly some mashed ripe banana in place of some of the zucchini to add sweetness. I might just have to experiment, because these are so good they will definitely be gone in a few days.

Here is my slightly altered version of the recipe:

Combine in a bowl:
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Mix/sift together in another bowl:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Add the egg mix to the flour mix, or be like me and add the flour to the egg mix because you put the wet ingredients into the bigger bowl on accident and you are still unpacking so you only have two bowls. Mix well.

Add two cups grated zucchini (about one big fat one) and 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips.

Mix again and pour into an 8x8 pan that you got as a wedding gift from your wonderful friend Kristen.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (or longer, until your toothpick or fork comes out clean!). Mine were totally done after 30 minutes.


Let it cool (mostly) then slice and top with non-fat frozen yogurt. Or put real ice-cream on it because you can (frozen yogurt was on sale). Feed unsuspecting people and don't tell them that there's fruits and vegetables in their brownie.

No comments:

Post a Comment