Sunday, August 28, 2011

Drink of the week: Vodka Tonics




While Aaron and I like making mojitos and margaritas, sometimes its nice to go the easier route with a classic drink like a vodka or gin and tonic. Besides, Aaron is the resident drink maker and he isn't always interested in muddling a watermelon mojito after a ten hour day at work. And you only need three ingredients: vodka, tonic water, and a lime wedge! Mix together in your preferred proportions and that's it.

We have this bottle of Lithuanian vodka that I got as a wedding shower gift from Aaron's sister and her husband, who went to Lithuania recently for work. It's perfect for a vodka tonic.


We also have a definite brand loyalty to Whole Foods 365 tonic water. Reasons:
  1. It comes in cans, so you don't have to open a huge bottle and have it be flat in a few days;
  2. It is made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup;
  3. It tastes a lot better!
I rarely drink pop or sweetened drinks, so when I do I prefer it to be real sugar that I'm chugging. Also, I'm one of those annoying people who avoid high fructose corn syrup. I don't care what they say about it just being sugar, it does have a higher fructose content and that is bad. When you are already giving your liver a dose of vodka, its just nice to not add in some extra fructose for it to deal with.

If you've never tried Whole Foods 365 tonic water, I highly recommend it. We've converted a few friends who wondered why the vodka tonics we made for them were so delicious. But be warned: vodka or gin and tonics used to be my go to drink at a bar if they don't have a good beer selection, but after having tonic water with real sugar, I find normal tonic to be kinda gross and I never order them anymore.

So the moral of the story is: This is a great drink, easy to make, and really light. And please please try it with this amazing tonic water if you have a Whole Foods nearby. It will change your perception of vodka tonics forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment