Well, I'm going through one of those phases now. When we decided to move to Madison I was just finishing up an application to the Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. Although I detest U of M, it is a great program (ranked #7) and I didn't think I had much of a chance to get in. I submitted my application and felt like it was a waste of $$, 1) because we were probably moving to Wisconsin, and 2) because I just did not think I would get in. (I didn't think I was diverse enough).
Of course you can see where this is going. I did get in and I got a fellowship on top of that.
Even better, I won't qualify for in-state tuition at UW-Madison unless I defer for a year and I wouldn't qualify for in-state in Michigan since I already switched my driver's license. It's a lot of money were talking about. Like a whole year's salary worth.
Although I'm not 100%, we have pretty much decided that I will start grad school in the fall as planned and we will eat the cost.
PLUS I haven't posted in a few days because I started a job last week. It is full time for now, but to keep the job in September I need to be a student at UW. I had another job offer that seemed really great and I could have deferred for a year, but I decided to turn it down. It would have been much easier to only have 1 option.
So now I just need to accept the decisions and let go of the possibilities that could have been if i had chosen the other job or was able to go to U of M. Luckily I have a wonderful fiance who would rather have me working and in school than save $30,000.
And to get me flowers. Which he will have to water because they would die in my care.
Took this picture last night... the buds are now turning pink.