Monday, March 7, 2011

French Toast for Sunday


This is not my favorite breakfast. My favorite breakfast would involve eggs, salt, potatoes, salt, and probably some sort-of vegetable. I do love blueberry pancakes, but at breakfast or brunch I will always always choose the salty and fatty option over sweet and cakey.

However, I'm coming to realize I don't run the world and some people like sugar and fruit for breakfast. Some people like the one I live with (I know its just a ploy to get maple syrup into our apartment).

I also hate exerting myself in the morning, which is why Aaron normally makes breakfast. But yesterday he was too busy dealing with the mound of dishes in our sink and I became the designated French Toast Chef.

I found this recipe at this website, which has a million pop-ups and actually isn't a great recipe, so I am recording my version here so I never have to visit that website again.

Baked Strawberry-Stuffed French Toast

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
2 tbsp sugar
4 oz softened cream cheese
4 thick slices of italian bread (probably 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick)
2 eggs
3/4 cup almond milk (or use cow milk, whateverrrr)
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
lots of cinnamon
1 tsp or so vanilla extract
dash of salt if you didn't use salted butter

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Get a baking dish and spray it with non-stick spray.
2. Place the strawberries in a bowl with the sugar and let it hang out.
3. Cut a pocket into each slice of bread, but be careful not to cut through to the other side.
4. Whisk eggs and milk in a pie pan.
5. Add the butter, flour, cinnamon, vanilla and salt to the milk/egg mix and combine.
6. Back to the strawberries: stir in the cream cheese.
7. Spoon/smash some of the strawberry mixture into each slice of bread.
8. Place each slice into the pie pan to absorb some of the egg mix. Make sure you get all surfaces covered!
9. Place coated slices into baking dish and bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes.

Put some more strawberries on top and syrup, if you are into that. This definitely makes four servings but we ate all of it and then camped out on the couch for 2 hours digesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment