Sunday, July 29, 2012

Xochimilco


Last Saturday Aaron and I went with some friends to Xochimilco, which is supposedly the Venice of Mexico. It is famous for its calm rivers where you can rent colorful boats for as many hours as you want and float around. One guy steers the whole boat with one paddle. Its an intense job.



Along the way there are plenty of people to sell you food and drinks, like this woman selling grilled corn. (I forget the real name of this snack, its corn covered in mayonnaise, cheese, and chili powder.)

I told Aaron NOT to get it especially because there is no way that mayonnaise has been properly refrigerated. He got it anyway and he was so happy until he realized it didn't taste as good as it looks.

Making food. They tie themselves to your boat to cook.
Selling huge micheladas.
We shared one because they were so big! But Aaron actually doesn't like them so I drank it all.
Dead baby doll island. An art installation.

A boat named Miriam! Its hard to read.
We had a great time at Xochmilco but it was a pain to get there (2 hours on the metro). I am going again today with a group for my roommate's going away party, luckily I'm getting a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment